Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Kubb Set

For my husband's birthday I wanted to make him something fun!  I decided to go with a yard game called Kubb (pronounced koo-b).  The cool part was I used a bunch of scrap wood from our deck project, and it was completed in an afternoon.  Here are the items you need to make the game:

6 batons: 1.75" x 11.75" (use a dowel rod)
10 kubbs: 2.75" x 2.75" x 5.9" (Use a 4x4)
1 king: 3.25" x 3.25" x 10" (Use a 4x4)

(All wood pieced were coated in boiled linseed oil after they were cut and sanded)
Playing field: 16.5'x26'

I was probably most proud of how the king turned out.  I used a table saw to cut all of the detail.  I wish I would have taken a video, it was surprisingly a lot easier that I thought it would be.  Just adjust your blade to a 30 degree angle.




I found the cutest crate at Hobby Lobby.  I used a silouhette machine to make the KUBB letters for each side of the box.  I ironed these on after coating the box with boiled linseed oil and letting it dry over night. 

NOTE: I picked a nice day and left all of the items coated in boiled linseed oil outside to dry.  The stuff smelled bad and I don't think you will want it fuming up your home.




I also made a wooden stake with a pink string attached to it that has knots tied off at 16.5' and 26' so the field can be marked easier.  You will also need to have 3 extra dowel rods (to use to stake the field) or I had 3 yellow plastic stakes on hand already (1 stake with the pink string + 3 additional stakes = 4 stakes to mark your field).

This was probably the simplest video for explaining how to play Kubb.







No comments:

Post a Comment