Friday, June 26, 2015

Cedar Collage Picture Frame (Father's Day)

Finally I get to share this!  A little belated due to traveling but finally got to give dad his Father's Day gift to be hung in the workshop.  Candi and I worked for hours on this thing (not even kidding).

We bought 1x4x8 cedar boards from Home Depot and cut them in half.


Give her a break ^  It was roasting outside!



Then we used the miter saw at what we thought was a 45 degree angle.  This is proof that there were these little red clamps on the work bench that didn't allow us to put the angle at 45 degrees.  So we accidentally wasted our first board with a bunch of sides for the frames cut to a 30 degree angle...I guess if we ever make a pentagon frame, we'll be all set.


As my dad always says, "it's easier to laugh at your mistakes".  This is a classic move that happens to me each project...I'm sure you've noticed by now.

So on to the next day, after purchasing another board.  We finally got down to business.  After cutting the board in half again, Candi used the table saw to cut out this little groove down the sides of the two boards where the glass and backing will set in.  I used the miter saw to successfully, this time, cut the boards at a 45 degree angle.  We measured from the back of the frame where the inset groove was (for the glass) and measured out the board to be cut at 6" (we needed 18 of these pieces to make our 9 planned picture frames) and 4" (needed another 18 pieces of these....which required Candi to make another trip to Home Depot for another board...I guess I didn't calculate right).


We put the frames together with wood glue and a nail gun, then connected our 9 frames using the same technique.  And came out with this.


Now the next part, I have to give full credit to Candi because I had absolutely no clue how we were going to keep the glass/picture/backing from falling out of the frame.  She suggested we put 3 screws on each frame, 2 up top and 1 on bottom and place a rubber band around them.  Quick fix, genius.



I did it vertically and horizontally on each frame just if incase....don't need anything falling out you know.


And then put all the workshop pictures in to get him started.  He can always change them out but I put a few of my favorites in there.

After that we wanted to make it a little more personalized so we did some wood burning.


And it's all complete!


Happy Father's Day Dad!


No comments:

Post a Comment