Sunday, December 20, 2015

Stairs, can't get the paint off to stain? No problem...

I tried pretty much everything to get this paint off the back of the stairs...I mean there are layers upon layers of paint!  I could have tore everything out and replaced the boards, which I still may end up doing someday but I for sure couldn't continue to look at this.


So, I did a similar project in the past for my front door, faux staining it is.

The first steps were pretty similar, sand it down to make it as smooth as possible then it's painted this ugly orange color, you can refer to my other post for the name of this paint to view the brand of paint click here.





After 2 coats of the orange were dry I did a coat of the Minwax gel stain.



Let that dry for a few days and put on another coat of gel stain in the hopes of making it appear darker.  Then I put on one coat of polyurethane that I used when I redid my wood floors.  Lastly, I repainted the white trim.


And here's the before and after.  Not perfect, but it will do for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment