Saturday, January 31, 2015

Hair Appliance Holder #1

Okay, so I made a trip to Lowe's yesterday and picked up some PVC pipe, I got a 3" that was 4' long and 2" that was 8' long.  I started cutting them so the appliances would fit.  The one shown is for a friend and she has 3 of the 2" that are cut to 6" each (for her curling irons and straightner), she has 2 from the 3" that are 4" tall (for her blow dryer and an electric razor) and 2 of the 3" that are 3" tall (for her hair ties and bobby pins).
I also made a stop at Hobby Lobby yesterday and picked up some pretty paper, she wanted it to be teal and gray.  Then I got mod podge to be able to attach the paper to the PVC pipe.  Have a little more to go but here's where I'm at so far.

Step 1: Cut everything down to the size you want (I used 3" and 4" PVC pipe)

Step 2: After making your selection on pretty paper which I got from Hobby Lobby anywhere from $0.49-$1.99 a sheet (or you can just spray paint them too after sanding them a bit to scuff them up so the paint will adhere) I brushed mod podge onto the PVC pipe and cut the paper down to size to cover the pipe.  After that dries (about 20 minutes) I put a layer of mod podge on top.  I did notice though that it's not as durable after letting it dry over night so I put a coat of Valspar's clear satin sealer on top and was much happier with the outcome.
Then if you want them to hang add the back attachments and arrange how you would like.

 I put a dab of hot glue on either end of the bottom side of the PVC pipe and lined the rest of it with super glue.  I think super glue holds great but, it takes a while to dry (so that dab of hot glue will keep it secure and allow the super glue to dry).

And then lastly....the fun part, add all of your stuff to it!




No comments:

Post a Comment