Sunday, January 25, 2015

Antiqued Hall Tree

DAY 1

I started a new hall tree over the weekend.  I didn't get a lot done on it since I had to take a couple trips to Lowe's that I wasn't anticipating.  I am super excited about these!
One will be painted olive green and the other will be old white, both Annie Sloan chalkpaints.
 Here's where I'm at so far. Much more to be done.  I already purchased the coat hooks for both and one will have a shelving unit attached to it.
So far I've made one with cubbies but I'm thinking about making the other a toy box style bench.  We'll see when time gets closer on the second one.
 I purchase a couple of doors on swap shop and I even have these cool little door knob and doorknob plates that will be attached as well.  And on my first trip to Lowe's I bought some beautiful molding that's going to be trimmed on the bottom and make it look complete!
It's hard to envision what these will look like right now, but I can tell you they are going to be stunning and just what someone will need for a show stopper in their front entryway.

Grabbing some gear at Lowe's


Starting the bench.


Awesome cubby style bench to put woven storage baskets in!

DAY 2

Okay, finally making some gains on the first hall tree, next post this beauty should be completed!


I made a template for the side structures, not only are they decorative but also serves as an excellent anchor for the back of the door to the bench seat.


And have to show you the new play toy dad got.  It's a kreg jig and makes this piece of furniture sturdy as sturdy can get.  Plus, you can't see the screws now...it's a win, win!


I told you the trim was gorgeous!  I can't wait to start painting!  We just cut the trim at a 45 degree angle to make the corner pieces.  The trim lines the whole bottom of the hall tree.


Just another view, still have to attach the other side anchor but ran into a bit of a snag.


I used a hardening wood filler (came in a yellow tin can) from Lowe's where the arrows are pointing to.  This door has been previously used as....well a door, so it has indentions and holes from screws that I didn't want to show.  By the time this baby is finished you will never even know they were ever there.


DAY 3


After a couple more nights of work here's where I'm at...
I got the other side anchor attached.


I cut out a circle with scrap wood to fill in the knob hole.  My son so graciously hammered that into place, and then I filled the rest in with wood filler.


And after about 15 minutes of letting that dry I sanded the entire thing.


And now it's ready for painting!  Got to love the goofy pictures along the way!  Covered in sanding dust!


Finally got to paint, I used the color Old White from Annie Sloan


Then a coat of clear wax followed by the dark wax.  Originally, I thought this would turn out more white...but after putting on the dark wax and immediately rubbing it off as I was going...it just soaked in!  I ended up putting on another finishing wax and buffing it which surprisingly did take off some of the dark wax but not much.


Then I began to add the hardware, I got the door knob and plate off of Etsy from the Shabby Store, https://www.etsy.com/shop/TheShabbyStore?ref=l2-shopheader-name.  The coat hooks and base supports for the shelving unit I purchased at Hobby Lobby, they have an awesome selection of hooks and knobs!  They are all cast iron too, I purchased these anywhere from $3.99-$6.99 a piece.  Then, I stained and put a coat of polyurethane on the shelf.



Here's a side view so you can see the beautiful detail on the shelving supports.


I think the trim turned out pretty neat


And of course, for the end of every project the long awaited before and after photo!


 I was even fortunate enough to get a photo of the hall tree in her new home!


No comments:

Post a Comment