Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Dining Table Restoration

DAY 1

Now that the holidays are over I can get back to it!  First on the list is this dining table and chairs.  Here's what we have to work with:

Well, you know the drill first steps are to get this top coat and stain off!  I used a stripper for the hard to access areas and my lovely step mom did an awesome job helping me sand the tops of the table (sanding is by far my least favorite thing in this world!).

Okay, so this project is soooo exciting for me because I'm trying something new!  I'm using Annie Sloan Chalk paint and wax for the first time.  It's been interesting playing around with it so far.  the top of the table is stained and so is the pedistal...the chairs will be painted gray.  More to come soon.

DAY 2

About 1/3 of the way through this project.  Wanted to show you what I've been experimenting with.

It seemed like when I took pictures it was hard to see the paint and wax, so on the leaf you can see where the clear and dark wax has been applied and to the right and left of it is just paint which is French Linen by Annie Sloan.
And this is the clear wax that I just put on with a cheesecloth.  And below is what it looks like when you apply it over the paint.  It makes the color a bit darker/richer and completely changes the feel of the finish from chalky to smooth.
Next step is the dark wax.  I've watched tutorials on where some let the clear wax dry overnight and others done.  For the table leaf I did let the clear wax coat dry over night but this time I didn't and I feel like it appears the same.



And my oh my what a little polyurethane will do to stain.  You can see my first coat of polyurethane on the right.
I put a thin coat of polyurethane on the table top and on the pedestal.  I am going to try to do a light sand in between 3 coats of polyurethane on the table top...supposedly giving a smoother finish.
And here's where we ended the day.

DAY 3

This will be the second to the last post about the dining table.  I'm getting a glimpse of what the finished result is going to be and I'm super excited.

I'm trying this new technique as far as a finished stained top to this table which consists of staining, followed by polyurethane, then sanding and repeating the process an additional two times.  Then finishing it off with Minwax's finishing wax to serve as a protectant.  I have to say I was a little nervous in sanding over top of this...all that work and it may not turn out...

And after sanding the first chair, I did the same thing as the sides of the table.  French Linen paint (2 coats)
And then the clear wax followed by the dark wax...and there my friends is a sneak peek at the final results.


DAY 4

So excited and happy this project is finally coming to a close!  First experience using chalk paint and wax and I have to say that I'm a fan.  Thinking about trying to make my own though, Maria did some research and thinks we may be able to make bigger quantities cheaper.  Here are some final photos of the dining table project.
Chair sanding....not only was it tough to sand them but painting them was a chore too!
Everything completed
And you have to appreciate the before and after photos!
Even Maria got going on her own project.  I wish I would have got a before picture.  But more fun stuff to follow her chair!  More updates soon!  Hall trees are getting started this weekend from a couple of doors that I picked up from swap shop.

And finally got to bring this pretty table home!


No comments:

Post a Comment