Thursday, February 18, 2016

Chair Hall Tree

It's been a while since I've done a hall tree.  A family friend had an interest in one so I was quick to take a jump on that offer.  This one is a bit different than hall trees I've done in the past because it had a glass window on the door.  Also, it's made to look like more of a chair but I think I'll still end up putting the coat hangers and some type of shoe storage on the bottom.  I went to the re-store, Sutherlands and my garage for my supplies.



Now, she's having new counter tops installed which are black and she wanted to tie the color in with the hall tree.  So it's going to be painted a slate color.  I'm using the chalk paint I ran across at Sutherlands.  Kind of hard to tell in the picture but there's gold on the detailing in the glass on the door, so I got this crackle medium stuff.  What I'm going to do is once this whole thing is put together, I'm going to spray paint the entire door gold, then apply the crackle followed by the slate chalk paint.  Hoping the crackle turns out decent so you get a little trace of gold throughout the door.  May make it appear a little more antique.

Of course you have to have a plan going in, my dad was AMAZING and helped me every bit of the way.  Including translating my thoughts onto paper.


Progress


Making the knob holes disappear


Prepped for paint


Spray painted gold


I put a thin layer of the crackle medium on, I'm going to let that dry over night.



One coat of the charcoal color



A coat of clear wax (you can sort of tell right underneath the arm doesn't have wax, all the wax does is protect your paint and deepen the color a little bit).



Before and After



All finished...the lighting in my garage isn't that great.  Looks a little bit different in person (looks sort of bluish in the pictures)....

Special hall tree for a special lady!






No comments:

Post a Comment