Sunday, February 28, 2016

Wooden Stairs

Trying again to get this brown paint out of my house.  I honestly thought this would be a simple fix...get the paint off and stain, this should only take a weekend, right???

WRONG.

Here's what we started with

A friend of mine recommended aircraft remover (which I found is more of a automotive paint remover) but he said it would do the trick.  So I gave it a try and came out with this...


I got a couple dust pans full of paint shavings...but needless to say there was still a bunch on there.  So then I tried a high strength paint stripper...


Finally, I gave up and began to take apart the stairs.  I also took the threshold off of the top, there used to be a door there but I felt like I had too many doors in the house.


I used a planer on the first step and gouged the wood so I stuck with a belt sander for the rest of the steps.



The bottom landing pad thing, looked like a puzzle before.  I wish I would have got a better picture of it because it was two horizontal boards and one vertical board, I'm pretty sure the previous owner cut the boards too short and instead of redoing them just cut a smaller piece of wood to cover the rest of it up.  So I got some wood at Lowe's and cut new ones out and routed the edges so it looked a little nicer.


I went back over the sheetrock and did some mudding...that's another part of the stairs that's always bothered me...there was caulking and a whole bunch of other goop that just made them look horrible.

Happy to report that putting the stairs back together was the quickest part of this whole adventure so far.


Now I need to fill in where the nail holes are at, sand one last time and I should be ready for staining!

My specially mixed woodfiller is now on.


So the woodfiller didn't take the stain that well, but overall it looks better I think.




3 coats of polyurethane, now all I need to do is touch up the wall paint and trim and we are all finished!


Finally got the walls repainted, the trim and the door frame. Looks much better.


No comments:

Post a Comment