Saturday, February 21, 2015

Restoration Project: Converting a dresser into a bookshelf (For The Love of the Man Cave)


Okay so I forgot to take pictures during the process...again.  This is the only picture I have of the dresser and it was taken right after I picked it up from the curb.

Jared did such a great job helping me.  So after I tore off the front part (that used to hold drawers), Jared helped me tear off the rest of the back which was replaced by a thin piece of birch (1/4" 4x4 $16.84 at Lowe's).  We left the supports on the back for obvious reasons.
Then we cut out the shelves which are a thicker pine (15/32 4x4 $20.15 at Lowe's).  Used some wood glue and L brackets to hold them up (pack of 4 $1.97 at Lowe's).  This bookshelf is special because it will be holding some larger sized research books so that's why each level is a bit different in height.  He also wanted a place to organize cd's and things.
I replaced the really old pads with new ones, this made a huge difference of the bookshelf not being wobbly.


Because the outside is made out of particle board I used a primer to make sure that the Valspar paint (black in color) would adhere and not scrape off.
Then I trimmed the inside with the black.
Followed by a coat of black on the entire piece.
Now all that's left is a second coat of the black and a coat of clear satin to finish it off.






No comments:

Post a Comment