Sunday, August 23, 2015

Super hero wall decorations

I really wanted to make Benton's room special, he absolutely loves super heroes so that's what we decided to go with.  Must give credit where credit is due, I got this idea from Pinterest at All Things Thrifty.  Looked off the picture and here was my experience with making these wall art signs.

DAY 1

I went to Home Depot and got a sheet of 1/4" plywood and cut them down to 12"x12".  I spray painted each of them a different color.  We are doing Captain America, Batman, Superman, and Spiderman.


I did 2 coats of spray paint just to make sure I covered them all then I put wall hangers on the upper part of the back of each one.

Thanks to google images and powerpoint, I made my own templates to trace on the left over plywood I had lying around.


Cutting these out was a chore, spent some time in the driveway with a jigsaw cutting them out.  Then I sanded them, they didn't come out perfect but they'll do just fine.


After sanding them I spray painted the logos.


The battery to the jigsaw died and I still have 2 left to cutout, but it was a good stopping point for me yesterday.  I picked up 3 pieces of felt from Joann's fabric and used black for Batman, and blue for the Captain America, these pieces are just to add a different dimension and they go behind the logo.  I attached them all with wood glue and sat something heavy on top of them while they dried.


And here are the two I got finished, like I said not perfect but I know B will appreciate them.  I'll post more when the other two are done.



*Note to self: really wishing I would have used something thicker than 1/4" plywood because they were a little warped...hope they look okay when I hang them on the wall...

DAY 2


Okay time for the last two signs...superman and spiderman, leave it to me to save the most difficult for last.


About halfway through, the spider became pretty delicate by the end.


Followed by sanding.



And all hung up.



Not perfect by any means but B loved them!  Hopefully the comics I ordered will be here soon so I can start the next part to his room.


Update almost a year later:

I decided to change the wall art a little bit.  The wood I used was just a little too flimsy for my liking.  I decided to go with a sort of shadow box approach this next go 'round, but overall same concept.

I built a frame and painted it gray, the inside I still wanted it to have the look of a tile with the same bright colors.

Thank goodness for painters tape


I added brackets on the back to hang it up.  Then I just re-glued all the old cutouts I made.



Simple change but much happier with the way it looks


No comments:

Post a Comment