Monday, December 12, 2016

Serving tray

I came across this idea on Pinterest from Simply Designing.  I went to Sutherlands and picked up some cedar fencing.  It was cheap and I guesstimated how much I would need.  Turns out after spending $11.00 I got enough for 2 (just for the wood).

I ended up getting the following:


  • (2) 1x6x6 @ $2.68
  • (3) 1x4x6 @ $1.99
  • A packet of corner brackets (came with 4) @ $4.79




I began by making the frame, per the directions I was following I made the following cuts:


  • (2) 1"x3"x18"
  • (2) 1"x3"x12"

This made the outer frame.  A little wood glue and the nail gun.


Now, I'm not going to lie....I'm horrible with angles.  So I cut the first strip of cedar (that I cut down to 2" wide) and cut my first 45 degree angle.  I did the same thing to a 2nd board I had.  I'm thinking to myself....to get it to sit flush with the frame I'll cut another 45 degree angle on the outside of the base, right?  No....

The only thing I felt like I did do right was mark my 12" board @ the 6" mark on the inside (of both sides) of the frame.  That way at least my arrow was straight.


So here's what I did and I don't recommend it.  I had all the arrows lined up glued and nailed.  On the outside the arrows (or base) weren't cut (they were various lengths I just cut on a whim.  I laid frame on top of it and traced from the inside of the frame where I needed to cut.  Then I went back with a jigsaw and cut them off.  When I did that, nothing really fit perfectly as it should.  But I put glue around the bottom inside of the frame....hammered the base in (it was pretty snug in some areas) and finished up with a nail in each arrow board.  Surely, there was a simpler way to do it.

I wanted it to be a little different and my mom really like the classic clean white.  So I chose to paint this instead of staining it.  It's painted in Old White chalk paint from Annie Sloan.  First coat down.


I know, it looks a little scary...but hang in there with me....

I also got handles from hobby lobby.  My mom has these feathers hanging on her Christmas tree that are white and the tip of them were dipped in gold paint.  Since this is a gift for her, I'm going to do the same thing with these handles (excuse the paint on my hands).  The handles were $6.99 a piece.


So I taped off the feather where I thought it looked alright and put a little gold spray paint on.


I also, put a clear coat on (I used polycrylic).


Then I attached the handles and the corner braces.  I even added a little decor.







No comments:

Post a Comment