Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Sliding door

My sliding glass door to the backyard is in need of some attention.  #1 it's brown...not my color, everything in this house seemed so dark when I bought it.  I want to lighten and brighten this place up!  I've read a few articles on people who have painted their sliding glass door frame and it doesn't seem too terrible, for certain it's better than purchasing a new door and installing it so.....let's give it a try.

Here's what it looks like currently.  View from the inside and the outside.



It also has this lock on it, that's currently being held together by duck tape...yuck.


And of course the handle that doesn't lock at all.


And some more broken pieces....

I kept searching the internet trying to figure out what this piece is called...well, I came up short.  So I'm going to try to use white weather stripping in there and see what happens.


First order of business is getting rid of the duck tape.  Spent an hour fiddling with this lock, and what do you know...it can be fixed.  Saves me money no longer needing to order a new one.  Bye bye duck tape!


Next, I need to cover the window panes with newspaper and painters tape and do the same for my trim.  I'll be painting both the inside as well as the outside of the door frame.  Also, I think the frame could use a good scrubbing, I read that it's best to use TSP so I'll give that a try.


1st coat of paint on.  I used this enamel spray paint from Rust-Oleum, it's a white semi-gloss.  I read some reviews that it sticks well and dries fast.


Here's the new handle I got.  I ordered it off Amazon.


So I ran in to a bit of a snag.  My already drilled holes in the door don't quite match up with the handle.  So I'll need to fiddle with that for a little bit before I can put the handle on.  Not to bad for a couple coats of paint, eh?


Here's a comparison picture so far...



So the handle I order was quite the ordeal.  I read the reviews before I ordered it and seemed like everyone had the same complaint, that the screws it came with were too short.  Well, it was one of the cheaper one's out there and I, like everyone else, also found that the screws provided weren't long enough.  A trip to Lowe's and a coat of spray paint solved that dilemma...but I was without a door handle for about 3 days.


I also, after the same 3 days, got to take the newspaper off outside!  Finally!  I'm sure my neighbors were just about as sick looking at it as I was.




I'm still fiddling with the side of the door.  I never did find the right piece of trim to go in there, but I did find some PVC trim that I think I can make work with some silicone.  It's not perfect but it will do.



I ended up using about 3 cans of spray paint...so we'll say around $15 in paint and $28 for a new handle set....last thing I need to get is a screen door and I should be all set.


No comments:

Post a Comment