Saturday, December 17, 2016

Workshop Clock

My dad has been asking for something like this forever, I think he first mentioned it about 3 years ago.  His request was to have a clock made from a saw blade with a picture painted on it (my sister is really artistic and does an amazing job) to hang in his shop.  So from that I decided that I wanted to find a photo of the house he grew up in (you should hear some of the stories about him and his brother).  Turns out, finding that photo was harder than I ever expected.

I called my grandma to see if I could get some more information.  Surely with all the updated technology I could save myself from a 2 1/2 hour drive and google map it or something.  I asked my grandma if she recalled the address, she said it was on Route 2.  Trying to get down to the bottom of it I asked for the house #, she said, "oh they didn't have house numbers back then".  WHAT?!?!  I called my dad to see if he could remember where this house was at and he said that it was on a road known as "Old Antelope Road"....okay so now that I feel like I traveled down a rabbit hole....

I then talked to my aunt and uncle who live in the same town as the house and asked them about it.  Although they also didn't have any pictures of the house back when my grandparents lived there.  My aunt did some searching for me and another family that lived there some time back had a photo of the house.



  My aunt told me it was still there but it was falling down.  She said she could run by it and get a picture for me if I thought it would help.  It sure did, so that was puzzle piece #2


So we are going off these 2 pictures and personal recollection from my grandma for the rest of the details.

I had an old saw blade donated to me by a family member.


I gave it to my sister and received this back.  Didn't she do a fantastic job?


Now for the easy part, making it into a clock.  I picked up some clock parts at Hobby Lobby.  I spray painted the hands black.  The only thing I had to add that didn't already come with the clock parts was a fender washer because the saw hole was too big.




And that's all there was to it!


No comments:

Post a Comment